Current Mission Address

Elder Dane Edward Eskildsen
Brazil Santa Maria Mission
Caixa Postal 0339

Centro Quarai-RS 97560-000
Brasil

(updated 1/13)

Sunday, June 24, 2012


June 17, 2012

Sounds like father’s day was pretty fun. Speaking of those kind of shoes, everyone wears them here, but they aren’t quite as long lasting or as high quality as toms or sanuks, but I will definitely be bringing a few pairs home because they are like 10 dollars a pair here in Brazil and way cheaper if I end up going to Uruguay sometime.

      Not sleeping in will be good for Bergen, and tell him not to whine because you never let us sleep in past 8 when we were working or even before we started work. Also there is no whining to president about not being able to sleep in when you are on the mission. You just got to learn how to wake up early. No, matter how difficult it remains to be.

      Yea the music in churches now is kind of silly, but it is worse in Brazil. Many churches here are just constant scenes of screaming and ´´singing´´ that sounds a lot more like weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth. Nothing yet tops the Mormon tabernacle choir. Yes I got those CD´s and they work fine. One of them I already had on my iPod, but I will just give it to someone else, and the other that is sung by the phantom of the Opera guy is pretty awesome. Tell Brant that I love him and he is going to have an awesome time on his mission when he gets out there!

       Yea coming home to a new house will be a little bit weird, or I could just live in the old house for the week and a half that I will be home after the mission haha. But Im used to switching into new houses frequently anyway, and it is inevitable that the new house will be far better than any other mission house that we may have here in the mission.

     The weather this week stayed crazy. Where last week´s cold left, this weeks blazing heat took its place. Definitely nothing characteristic of the Rio Grande do Sul winter. The first few days of the week gave an awful humidity where the walls were even sweating. (That is not a metaphor, they were literally condensating). And then there was just heat up until a few days ago where it started to rain off and on and then yesterday gave about an hour and a half long downpour which started just as my companion and I were as far from our house was possible. The only thing that the umbrella did was protect my tie. Luckily my shoes are very good and I had that dry sack to protect all of my books and things. I definitely recommend getting a dry sack like that to anyone who goes on this mission. It works better than shopping backs which often leak and rub off ink. Today stayed temperate in terms of the weather.

       We had interviews with President this last week. Like usual my interview was about 3 or 4 minutes long, but I shouldn’t complain because that just means that I am not doing anything wrong or on Presidents bad side. He basically said to keep up the good work and asked how my companion is and if I like being with another American again. Truth is I had rather stay with a Brazilian companion for the rest of my mission, it makes for a good balance.

      We had a hard week in terms of finding new investigators, but those that we did find truly are good. We found refuge in the rain yesterday in the house of investigator who we taught in order to wait out the rain. Her intire family was there this time so we taught them the restoration and left the commitment to pray. They understood very well our lesson and invited us to come back as soon as they were available. We talked to a lot of people this week, totaling almost 100 contacts and got turned down 90% of the time. Thats missionary work though, what can you do? Surely cannot mess with anyone’s agency. The week was good though, leaving many good prospects for the next weeks. This work is true.

I love you all and hope you are doing very well!

-Elder Eskildsen

Dear family,  June 10, 2012

       Wow, crazy to think that dad already has one year as the bishop. It wont be too long before I hit my one year mark as well. This last week has been cold as well. Yesterday we had a ton of rain which is good because there has been quite a drought throughout this state in Brazil and the agriculture here depends on the rain. It is starting to warm up again though and this week is supposed to be pretty mild. I had gotten some good use out of my winter clothes here this last week. (Even through the night as a result this countries glorious lack of central heating).

      Yea if you could put portions of my letter on the blog that would be splendid, because I dont really have time to type up a separate blog post. I received that announcement from SaraH today. Also I got a letter from Grandma and Grandpa Eskildsen (and I sent a letter to them today) and a letter from my roommate alex norr who is in Sweden.

        I got that package today that is filled with the warm winter clothes, which I was excited about, because it really is quite frigid here. Just barely not cold enough for ice or snow though. Thanks for the Journal, those are really hard to find here for some reason. I guess Brazilians aren’t really too concerned with documenting their lives. I had to resort to writing my daily happenings in a large daily planner I bought.

 That’s also amazing that you are really getting into your calling and visiting the less actives, because that truly is the duty of the members and not of the missionaries.  We have only one member of the ward, (or rather, one sane member) that visits less actives. We have also come to notice that the less actives (at least here) really have nothing against the church alot of the time, but they have fallen away for other reasons, and still have a great desire to help the missionaries.

         This week has been really good. We didn’t manage to get a ton of lessons, but those that we did teach are really awesome. Our investigators for the most part are families, which is exactly what we are supposed to be focusing on in this work. We have two young couples (legally married I believe, which is incredibly difficult to encounter here) that we are teaching. Both with very young kids, who are studying and well educated as a result. One of the couples, Eliane and Silmar, made us dinner the other night, even though it was only our first lesson there. (They had a little bit of exposure to the missionaries already when Elder Lipps was here a month or two ago.) The other couple really wants to make us lunch two Sundays from now. The other family is one that we found doing street contacts, who also comprehend thoroughly everything we teach. I am really excited to be teaching such awesome families. This week we received a referral from the elders in one of the other wards of a girl that has been attending their ward with one of her friends who we started to teach. She has already been going to church for 2 weeks, so she already has a great foundation in the church and is thus very easy to teach. In praying for inspiration this last week to find places to find new investigators, we have found new families and individuals to teach, in exactly the first house that we knock after choosing a certain road to knock doors. We got to see the dedication of the temple in Manaus (the mission where Trevor Lott is) and that was awesome. I had never really remembered seeing a temple dedication and was very grateful to be able to see one. It also made me really want to go to the temple ASAP because I really miss it. And no I am not able to exercise daily. That seems to be it for the week, but I love you and hope you are all do superbly.

-Elder Eskildsen                           Me in fields"fields without end"
 Me and Elder Bargus making P-day meal of doighish things called pastel filled with meat or carmel and apples or other sweets that I put in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment